Now that summer’s here….

……I’ll be able to catch up! I tell myself that several times a year at transition times

  • the beginning of the year
  • after the dead of winter
  • when the rush of springtime events are past
  • the beginning of the summer
  • the end of summer
  • after the holidays

….but it never really happens! I find myself saying “after this (fill in activity) I’ll have more time”, but something else always comes up.

So I find myself at the start of summer saying “OK, I’ve really got to buckle down with this blog!” and here we are 11 days into June and I’m finally sitting down. But I really have been busy! (Aren’t we all?) What have I been doing?

The last weekend in May was the annual getaway for my guild. Fabulous! We go to the Franciscan House in Kennebunkport ME. They are so incredibly accomodating! Tables, chairs, lights, irons, ironing boards, raised cutting tables, power strips, design walls, hot and cold beverages and meals! The only thing quilters have to bring are their projects!

So naturally I spent about 2 weeks before the trip getting ready for the trip. There was fabric to gather and test blocks to be made. Numerous projects of varying intensity had to be packed up.

applique pattern

applique pattern

Here’s my first project. I bought this pattern at least 3 years ago planning on hand appliquing it. Well I decided it would be a good chance to perfect my machine applique instead!

I did a lot of prep work, I think I got 12 of 24 blocks ready. Here are 3 sets of leaves. These are turned edge; I use a glue stick and Sharon Schamber’s applique stablizer.

leaves prepped

leaves prepped

Nine blocks got machine appliqued on the first and second days. I was happy with my results.

Nine other blocks

Nine other blocks

I think this block took me almost as long as ALL the other blocks combined (or it seemed that way!)

IMG_1277

 

This is very focused work, so I was glad to move to project 2.

IMG_1248

This was another pattern I’d had for several years (do you see a theme developing?) I chose NOT to use chicken fabrics! Instead I pulled out a 1/2 yd bundle that, you guessed it, I’ve had for ?how many years?

the original 1/2 yd bundle

the original 1/2 yd bundle

I thought this was an unusual color combo and LOVED the shoe fabric! Of course I had to add more… some of these I already had, but I did need to buy a few also.

the final group

the final group

I did all my cutting ahead of time, so the sewing went very quickly. I used the TriRecs tool to cut the triangles for the star points. Love that tool! Makes lining up the points so easy!

blocks cut and ready to assemble

blocks cut and ready to assemble

The pattern was for 25 blocks, but I’m only making 9.

Nine blocks completed

Nine blocks completed

My final project for the weekend was what I thought was going to be easy peasy stress free, not so much!

strips and pattern

strips and pattern

This one has been in my “to do” pile on and off for over 10 yrs!! My friend Sue borrowed it for last year’s getaway and her’s is completely finished. I had a bunch of strips left from another project so rather than agonize over fabric choices I figured I’d use them. I needed to add one fabric to frame the blocks so I went to my stash for that too.

contrast contenders

contrast contenders with sample blocks

I chose this one

and the winner is!

and the winner is!

The quilt is made of 2 blocks. I got one of each done. They aren’t very flat. That’s what rushing does for you!

not so flat blocks

not so flat blocks

At home I completed 7 more blocks. These are 20″ blocks, so 9 is plenty big enough for me!

Nine blocks

Nine blocks

This post is getting looonnngggg, so I’ll sign off for today and will give more details about these projects in upcoming posts!

Hope you enjoy the photos! And the summer weather .

 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *